Thursday, January 29, 2015

There Can Be Only One, And It Wasn't Me (Endgame Highlander Tournament)


Last Saturday I played in my first highlander event at Endgame in Oakland. I love this format. It still allows for competitive gameplay, but really tones down the spam and meta gamer lists you'd normally find at a tournament these day. But, that doesn't mean there isn't a challenge in creating a fluffy list when you can't repeat units. Point value based games inherently make list building hard, so any additional restrictions do add to the challenge. That said, any good game should be a challenge. Lucky for me, I had two strong opponents and two challenging games.

I brought the Yell Hounds (my Blood Angels custom chapter). It looked something like this:

HQ
Astorath (Warlord), Librarian, Captain

Troops
Tactical Squad in a Razorback, Scouts with shotguns

Elites
Death Company (jump packs), DC Dread, Terminators (w/ heavy flamer)

FA
Deathwind Drop Pod

HS
Stormraven

The first was against Eran and his tricky, quick Eldar. Holy shit, Eldar are good! Eran played them really well in an awful, terrible 2-23 beatdown (jetbikes, man, jetbikes). My second game was against Stephen and Typhus. The Traveller is tough. He ended up killing Astorath and my Librarian in two consecutive turns of close combat. This one was a bit closer (4-9) but Papa Nurgle won the day.

My biggest disadvantage was a lack of speed and manueverability. Objectives in the maelstrom missions are the way to win, and static forces will always lose out to more mobile forces. Hey look, I learned something! Better luck, and some land speeders, next time I guess.

Big thanks to Mike and Adan for running the show, and to Endgame for being Endgame. Until next time!

Game One





Game Two










No comments:

Post a Comment