Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The Samos Sanction (Story and Mission)

In my first ever game of 40k, my ugly golden yellow Tau Commander was sniped to death by a Vindicare Assassin. I'm pretty sure it went something like this
Joe's Opponent: "Ok, the Vindicare shoots at the commander. Hits. Ok, that is three wounds with no cover save. Roll your "Look out Sir". A miss. Ok, he's dead".
Joe: "Uh, WHAT?"
I think the guy might have been cheating, but it didn't matter. In my head, I envisioned my poor hapless commander having his boxy little head blown off in front of his poorly painted drones. I was hooked.

::puts on glasses:: YYYEEEEAAAHHHH!!!

A couple weeks ago, I ran across The Samos Sanction, a comic written by Bill Kaplan about Vindicare Assassin 13-X and his mission to kill the future Free King of Samos. It is a fun read, and gives a brief look into the Officio Assassinorum. It also gave me a fun idea for an assassination kill team mission.

The Setup

The Assassin
rules from Officio Assassinorum Dataslate

Vindicare Assassin 150pts

The Warlord 
Rules from Codex Inquisition

Renegade Warlord 80pts
(Ordo Malleus Inquisitor) Pysker, Hellrifle, Power Sword
Henchmen x7 63pts
(Acolytes) Hot Shot Lasgun

Deployment
Play on a 4'x4' table with at least two terrain pieces in each quadrant. Roll off for board edge, and deploy up to 12" away from your table edge. The Warlord sets their models first, the Assassin goes first.

Victory Conditions
The attacker receives 3VP for slaying the Warlord. The defender receives 1VP for each wound taken by the Assassin.

I haven't tried it out yet, but it seems like a fun way to play out the Samos Sanction. Feel free to substitute the Vindicare with your favorite assassin to create your own story. I could see a Culexus v. Farseer and guardian bodyguard match-up would be fun.

This would also be a cool way to turn your once a week game into a mini campaign. Maybe if the assassin is victorious your opponent's warlord starts with one less wound, or if the Warlord wins then his unit has the hatred special rule for the next game. The narrative, forge it!

Until next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment