Thursday, August 14, 2014

Forge the Mechanic (or, the birth of the pathfinder-star)

I have been playing 40k for almost 15 years now, and this is the first time I have really fallen for the fluff behind my army. Illic Nightspear is the Ranger Phoenix Lord we were all waiting for that nobody wants. He is one of the best shots in the entire galaxy, but he only kills his prey half of the time. But, that shouldn't take away from his sci-fi Legolas bad-assness.

 Warhammer, the universe, is an expansive place where almost anything is possible. Warhammer, the game, is full of deathstars, buffs, and power combos. It is kind of funny to think about how weird the storyline would be if it was dictated by the mechanics.
Sad Tau Crisis Suit Salesman #1: "How am I going to pay my rent this month? I haven't sold a stealth suit in years!" 
Sad Tau Crisis Suit Salesman #2: "Your tellin' me! Do you have any idea how expensive a good Fire Warrior college is? My kids gonna kill me if they end up at some Earth Caste school" 
         ::flipping through Crisis Suit Monthly Magazine:: 
Salesman #1: "Hold on, Frank! Do you see this?"
Salesman #2: "Holy Ethereal, it's huge! What's it called?" 
Salesman #1: "A Riptide. What the hell is a Riptide?" 
Salesman #2: "What does it matter! Everyone is going to want one of these!
The beautiful thing about 40k is that you really can "forge the narrative". But, can you "forge the mechanic"? I doubt it, but why not try anyway!

Here is my Illic Nightspear pathfinder-star that I will be using in my upcoming games. Sneaky Eldar Outcasts hiding out and shooting Space Marines through their vox grills, awesome. Having to roll a +4 to wound with a 140pt model, not awesome. Screw the dice! Get scared, bike-star. Tremble with fear, screamer-star. Just... just stop, seer-star. Here's the core of my army.


Illic Nightspear's Pathfinder-star
"This sniper rifle was a bad choice!"

Illic Nightspear
Pathfinders x5

Farseer (w/ Uldanorethi Long Rifle)
Pathfinders x5

Total 515pts

Tactics: Sit in terrain and roll sixes.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment