Thursday, February 19, 2015

Gonna Go Back in Time!!! (Historical Wargaming in the 40k Universe)


I love historical wargaming. Growing up in New Jersey, you are surrounded by history. As I learned more about it, it became more a part of me. Visiting sites and battlefields from the Revolutionary and Civil Wars drove this passion. I was lucky enough to see first hand artifacts from the soldiers that shaped the history of the United States. This passion inevitably grew into a large collection/addiction for 15mm miniatures. But, along with it comes the responsibility of painting ancient armies. Historical wargamers meticulously represent uniforms down to the color of their socks and the design of their flags. The issue with this is that sometimes it feels more like a responsibility than a creative endeavor.

Part of my Norse Irish DBA Army (15mm)

I think that's why I've fallen so hard for 30k. I have been day-dreaming in the 40k universe since I was a teenager. Doodling army lists in class and reading Black Library stories on my commutes. In my hobby life I think I would often use GW games as my creative outlet (creating chapters and finding odd stories in the fluff). With historical armies, I would spend time researching colors of cloth and histories (often focusing on my own European ancestry). Within the Horus Heresy, I am able to combine both of these aspects of the hobby.


In my current project, a post-Istavaan V Raven Guard army, I feel really fulfilled both technically and creatively. The Horus Heresy is the foundation of the 40k universe. I am able to read about the history in the Forge World reference books, and also enjoy narrative stories like Raven's Flight and Deliverance Lost from the Black Library catalogue. Being able to play the game I love, while also focusing on recreating one of the great armies of the Imperium is a real joy. And, the tools for building these armies are right at our finger tips. Just check out this awesome reference chart from Horus Heresy Book Three: Extermination:


The level of detail here is nuts! Following charts like these provided in the Horus Heresy books are an excellent guide to creating historically themed 30k armies. That being said, don't forget that this hobby is a creative outlet. Paint and play the army that you want to play. But, it is always good for us to push our boundaries and step out of our comfort zones. Putting a little bit of research and working within the loose historical guidelines of 30k will surely make an army even the Emperor would be proud of!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment