Friday, April 17, 2015

Veterans for the Long War: Building an Army for the Ghoul Stars campaign


The Ghoul Stars has long been a wild and untamed area of space on the northern edge of the Ultima
Segmentum. In M34, this formerly human region was lost to a "star spawned plague and nightmare engines that swept across entire sectors." A powerful force of eleven Space Marine Chapters was sent to deal with the menace of the Cythor Fiends, but only the Novamarines ever returned...


With the native inhabitants of the Ghoul Stars in turmoil, and the Necrons not yet fully consolidated, the High Lords of Terra mandated that a reconquest be launched once again. Given their long involvement with the region, the Black Templars, under the leadership of High Marshal Helbrecht, were chosen to lead the Crusade.
 

The call was answered from all across the Imperium. Huge expeditionary forces began to assemble along the Ultima Segmentum border. The systems along the Ghoul Stars frontier began to pulse with Space Marine Chapters, Imperial Guard Regiments, Knight Households and Rogue Trader fleets.
 

This time their goal is nothing less than the complete cleansing of the Ghoul Stars!

Starting next month, Endgame and the 40k Fight Club will be running a new campaign based out of the Ghoul Stars. As most of my regulars know, I love the events at Endgame. Mike and Adan put a lot of effort into the background and scenarios of their campaigns, and it shows. Based on everything I've seen and read so far for the Ghoul Stars, this should be the best one yet. The only thing I've been hung up on is what type of forces I want to muster. Enter the Order of Battle.

Before the campaign begins, we need to send the organizers an Order of Battle (OoB). This represents the host of forces available to your warlord during their expedition into the Ghoul Stars. Here are the rules for building your OoB from the campaign packet.

You have 4,000 points to build your Order of Battle. If you are using Allies, no more than 1,000 points of your OoB may be Allies. Buy the basic units (including dedicated transports) with NO wargear or upgrades AT ALL. For example, a 10 man Space Marine Tactical Squad and Rhino, with no special/heavy weapons, no Veteran Sergeant, etc, is 175 points.

I have decided to join the Imperium faction for this go, so I'll be bringing my Raven Guard kicking and screaming 10,000 years into the future ("Where's my damn Sicarian!"). I am still in the process of finalizing my Order of Battle, and trying to decide if I should add in some allies (maybe some Death Spectres?). I'm gonna be working on it it pretty heavily this weekend, and I would love some input on what a proper Raven Guard Strike Force should include. I'll have an OoB to share sometime next week.

If you live in the Bay Area, make sure to check this campaign out. You can find more information about it here if you are interested.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment